THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, July 21, 2008

The Street Children

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Street Children

http://www.stolenchildhood.net/images/street-children_50.jpg



It was 6:00pm yesterday and I was in the tricycle (going home), while the driver is waiting for passengers, when I saw two children (6 and 4 years old, I guess) on the street. They were walking holding hands. Suddenly, the older one stopped in front of the garbage, beside it was a big package cartoon. He took the cartoon and showed it to the younger one. The younger one then nodded and pointed his fingers to my direction. It was then that I noticed that behind the tricycle where I am sitting was a vacant area wherein only few people are passing by. They walked through the area then the older one laid down the cartoon. While the tricycle was still waiting for other passengers I also waited for parents to come and get the children…it was evening already and children of their age must be in the house as of that time.

It was almost an hour of waiting but no one really bothered to get the children. There parents had already forgotten them. I felt pity for the two boys (it was so clear that they were going to sleep on the area) and felt angry with those parents who abandoned them (and to the government who had done nothing in order to give those children a shelter). Where are they? How could they do that to their own children? Where is their conscience? Do they have one? I want to walk towards the children but realized that I have nothing to offer or give them… had no money left. “if only I am rich”, I told myself…

They are not only the street children in Koronadal. There are plenty of them… and it’s not only in Koronadal where there are kids like them. The Philippines is rich in street children, actually. In fact you can see them wherever public place you go in the country. But the state don’t give a damn in order to solve these things.

The driver started the tricycle on a minute after. It was time for us to go home.

0 comments

0 comments: